A Short but comprehensive SEO checklist for your business in 2020.
Let’s start here. First things first.
It is always good to review Google’s algorithm updated once a month to stay on top.
1 – Create a sitemap
A site map refers to an organized list of pages on the website. This is the best place to start with.
2 – Create and add a robots.txt file to your site
This is the robots exclusion protocol which tells the search engine which pages to crawl and which not to.
3 – Install Google Analytics
Connect Google Analytics with your website to track all user activities. You can do that by copy-pasting a short tracking code on your website.
4 – Setup Google Search Console
This is a Google service that helps webmasters to check the indexing status of the website and further helps in content optimization.
5 – Keyword Research Checklist
- Find a primary keyword to target
- Find long-tail keyword variations
- Understand ‘search intent’
- Delve deeper into the questions people are actually asking
- Make sure that ranking for your chosen keyword is an achievable goal
6 – On-Page SEO Checklist
- Use short, descriptive URLs
- Write a compelling title tag and description
- Use one H1 on your page (and include your keyword in it)
- Link to relevant internal and external resources
- Optimize your images with descriptive “alt” tags
- Intelligently “sprinkle” long-tail variations throughout your content
- Add schema markup to enhance SERP visibility (where relevant)
7 – Content Checklist
- Write a kick-ass intro
- Focus on readability
- Use short sentences and paragraphs
- Create the best piece of content on the topic
8 – Technical SEO Checklist
- Identify and FIX any crawl errors
- Make sure your site loads FAST
- Fix outbound broken links
- Make sure your site is mobile-friendly
- Switch to HTTPs
- Fix duplicate content issues
9 – Link Building Checklist
- Replicate your competitor’s links
- Monitor and reclaim any lost links
- Pursue unlinked mentions
- Let the right people know about your content
10 – Local SEO
- Set up the Google my business profile and update it with recent business information Make sure you verify it.
- Bing places for business – Do the same with Bing Places.
- Yelp – Create a yelp account and set it up for customer reviews.
- Add your business to yellow pages and all other free business listings that represent a local standing.
11 – Social Media
Set social media accounts and connect them with your website by adding your URL in the appropriate places.